Terri talks to Holly Ruxin about her journey into discovering her heart and getting out of her head to lead a more authentic life. She started a new kind of wealth management company, Montcalm TCR where she helps her clients invest in alignment with their personal values.
Who is Holly Ruxin?
Holly founded Montcalm TCR, a female-led wealth management firm in San Francisco combining over twenty years’ experience in risk management on Wall Street with a transparent process that empowers clients. Holly has an extensive background in finances having begun her investment career at Goldman Sachs in the fixed income derivatives division, where she learned indelible lessons about risk management and cultivated an expert understanding of money. She later managed assets and led private client teams at Morgan Stanley, Montgomery Securities, and Bank of America.
- If Holly had a magic wand she would change the existing power infrastructure where everyone leads from their heads and have everyone lead from their hearts.
- Holly talks about following your heart and your gut to be more grounded in your decisions.
- Terri talks about having spent the last two years stripping out the adaptations and the accommodations to succeed in a man’s world
- Holly shared her experience being on Wall Street where she was taught to be very good at leading from the head but later realized there was another way. She spent several years working with coaches to unravel ‘her head.’
- She talked about the difference in the ‘masculine’ versus the ‘feminine’ values and how hard it is to undo the values one is trained to follow.
- Terri talks about the current situation in the world presenting us with the perfect opportunity to shift in the way we operate in the world and embracing values that are no longer serving us in the world.
- Terri talks about working with a coach over the summer to learn to embrace her intuition as the decisions she made intuitively have been some of her best decisions.
- Holly talks about how women differ from men in having not only just fear/flight but having fear/flight and building of community.
- Holly has spent the last few years learning to build new ‘super highways’ in her brain to operate in the world differently.
- The contrasts in the world are providing people with the opportunities to speak up and say they want to come from a more authentic place.
- She had her third child in 2008 when the financial markets were crashing and she had two other children at the time. Her oldest child started losing his motor skills and language and she couldn’t get a diagnosis even after having gone to a number of prominent medical facilities in the SF Bay Area. She resorted to looking to non-western medicine to get answers. This led her to start thinking about being more authentic in the world.
- She saw that it was possible to bring this new way of thinking and this new value system into the financial world.
- She thinks that love is about truth and authenticity. It is important to be grateful and not have judgment.
- The nature of the C corporation is that legally it has fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders; they must make profits higher.
- The B corporation must support people, environment and profits. With the change to B corps, there will be different motivations.
- Terri talks about the need to redefine the definition of success.
- Holly started her wealth management company Montcalm TCR to give…not just extract which is what was expected of her at Morgan Stanley and Bank of America.
- Holly provides her clients with the opportunity to ask questions to engage and understand and feel empowered with her money and their investments.
- Terri asked Holly about Stash Wealth for millennials to get better service as they are building their wealth and want to invest in things that aligned with their values.
- Holly talks about how we have lost our community banking where there was connection in the community and one was able to borrow because they were known in the community.
- Holly talks about how some of her very wealthy clients being very nervous about losing all of their money. People who are scared come from a scarcity perspective and she works with them to reduce that fear to create greater abundance.
- Holly says that people are afraid because they really aren’t invested in their investments
- Holly talks about the Last Mile and how it helps inmates in the criminal justice learn to code. She talks about NPX Investors and how it is providing a different and new way to have money flow and build sustainability for people.
- Terri puts Holly on the spot in asking her about CNote. CNote is tied into community developed financial institutions. They give the investor a chance to be involved in the cash flows.
- Holly continues to ask about how you can continue to focus on transformational behavior.
- Jacqueline asks Terri to ask Holly about how to become a more heart-centered investor…Holly responds by encouraging you to ask questions. The questions are: What do I own? What do I owe? What do I earn? What do I need? These bring it out of your head and into your heart.
- Terri talks about her semi-annual financial review to get her concerns out of her head and focus on the reality. It reduces a lot of stress for her.
Terri’s Key Takeaway
It is possible to collaborate and have all stakeholders win. Life is not a zero-sum game.
References in the Podcast
- Stash Wealth: https://www.stashwealth.com/
- Carolyn Leonard: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carolyn-leonard-2549631a/
- SheInvests podcast with Carolyn Leonard: http://www.sheinvests.com/carolyn-leonard-quest-change-misconception-women-money-episode-15/
- Last Mile: https://thelastmile.org/
- NPX Investors: https://npxadvisors.com/
- CNote: https://www.mycnote.com/
- Suzanne Andrews: https://www.linkedin.com/in/suzannemandrews/
You can follow Terri on Twitter at @terrihansonmead or go to her website at www.terrihansonmead.com or on Medium: https://medium.com/@terrihansonmead.
Feel free to email Terri at PilotingYourLife@gmail.com.
To continue the conversation, go to Twitter at @PilotingLife and use hashtag #PilotingYourLife.