Terri talks to Fei Wu about how she researched coming to the US from China to study when she was a teenager and picked a school in Fryeburg, Maine so she could play ice hockey. Fei talks about launching her podcast in 2014 in order to have something of her own that didn’t require multiple rounds of client approval. She looks forward to using her platform to bring people together to make the world a better place.
Who is Fei Wu?
Fei Wu is from Beijing, China and came to the US in her teens to study in Fryeburg, Maine. Fei left her job in marketing and advertising to build a company of her own called Feisworld, LLC, with a mission to help small businesses and people tell better stories, find more customers and create new revenue streams. Fei is the creator and host of Feisworld Podcast which has listeners from over 40 countries.
- Fei tells the story about how she came from China to study in the US and how she looked for a school that had ice hockey and ended up in Fryeburg, Maine.
- Terri shares her story about how first experienced ice hockey at a Give Hockey a Try Day last year.
- Terri talks about exchanging houses with families in France and how valuable the experience was in terms of being forced to adapt to a different culture and language in developing empathy.
- Fei teaches art at a local high school and encourages the kids to travel and get exposed to other languages and cultures.
- Fei talks about how she was excited to come to school in the US and didn’t think she was brave or courageous at the time.
- Fei launched her podcast in October 2014 because she wanted to create something on her own without requiring approval from anyone else. She was influenced by Krista Tippett and her podcast On Being.
- Fei loves being able to learn about other people through her interviews with people on her podcast.
- Terri likes that she can be ‘nosy’ when she interviews people for her podcast.
- Fei learned how to actively listen as a podcaster which was somewhat in contrast to the way she was raised in China. Being an active listener is so important when interviewing for podcasts because it brings the listeners along with the process.
- Fei talks about how she learned to use her podcast as a platform to gain new consulting clients. Dorie Clark encouraged her to write an eBook about this (which is available on Fei’s website). She is seen as someone who delivers and is trustworthy.
- For Fei, 2018 will define who she is and who she will be in terms of her consulting work. She now chooses who she works with and doesn’t feel the need to say yes to everyone.
- If Fei could wave a magic wand, she would love to use her platform to bring people together.
Terri’s Key Takeaway
Empathy is the key to reducing the divisiveness in the world.
References in the Podcast
- Fei’s website: https://www.feisworld.com/
- Fei’s World podcast: https://www.feisworld.com/podcast/
- Make More Marbles: http://makemoremarbles.com/
- Fei’s eBook series: https://www.feisworld.com/ebooks/
- On Being podcast: https://onbeing.org/
- Dorie Clark: http://www.dorieclark.com/
- Brene Brown: https://brenebrown.com/videos/
- Unraveling Pink: https://unravelingpink.com/
- Unraveling Pink podcasts on women ally moments: https://unravelingpink.com/2018/03/01/happy-womens-history-month/#more-713
You can follow Terri on Twitter at @terrihansonmead or go to her website at www.terrihansonmead.com or on Medium: https://medium.com/@terrihansonmead.
Feel free to email Terri at PilotingYourLife@gmail.com.
To continue the conversation, go to Twitter at @PilotingLife and use hashtag #PilotingYourLife.