Terri and her producer Jacqueline sit down over a cup of coffee to reflect on how they plan to start 2018. For them it’s not about the resolutions. They discuss letting go of what no longer serves them, living in alignment with core values or noble goals, planning and productivity tools, and being the pilots in their own lives.
- Terri talks about starting new behaviors or habits on any day of the year and not setting New Year’s resolutions
- Terri and Jacqueline talk about calendars, planners, and their love of paper planners throughout the podcast
- Terri’s core values are freedom, belonging and self-respect and the importance of making decisions in alignment with her core values
- Jacqueline’s life purpose/noble goal is posted at her desk to remind daily and is to help herself and others find the self-compassion and self-respect so that they have the courage to be their best selves in the world and make the biggest difference in the world
- Arian Simon recommends looking for fulfillment instead of balance which Terri is adopting for 2018
- Terri and Jacqueline talk about being the pilots in your own lives by
- Living authentically without apology
- Having courage instead of being fearless
- Asking for what you want
- Saying yes or saying no to support your own goals, objectives and sanity
- Being defiant: standing up for your own truth
- Giving yourself permission to change your mind
- Taking the steps and trust that the path will present itself
- Lean into the discomfort
- Having patience
- Terri writes down the following reminders every day as intentions every day
- Set boundaries
- Stop avoiding (or take action)
- Jacqueline tells the story of the starfish on the beach and the woman who is throwing the starfish back into the ocean one at a time, making a difference for each of the starfish that she throws back into the ocean
- Letting go of what no longer serves you: expectations, resentment, people, behaviors, thoughts
- Living in integrity means that there is no friction and its effortless. The definition of integrity is when your words and actions match, and are in alignment with your commitments, values, beliefs and life vision.
- Terri talks about how she has been changing over the last few years and how other people in her life have not reacted well to the changes
- Jaqueline talks about the importance of reflecting on the year and how the holidays can be the perfect time to do this
- A ship in harbor is safe but that’s not what ships are built for.
- Happy New Year!
Call to Action
Be your best self. Define your core values or noble goal/life purpose. Make your decisions consistent with these values/purposes. Let go of what no longer serves you. Stay focused on the bigger picture. Take one step at a time and path will present itself. Have faith and trust.
References in the Podcast
- Julie Ashby: http://www.julieashby.com/
- Girl Boss Radio interview with Arian Simone: https://www.girlboss.com/girlboss/2017/12/21/arian-simone-girlboss-radio
- Arian Simone: http://ariansimone.com/
- Julie Gordon White: http://www.growatthewell.com/
- The Little Paris Bookshop: https://www.amazon.com/Little-Paris-Bookshop-Novel/dp/1594139652
- The Storied Life of AJ Fikry: https://www.amazon.com/Storied-Life-J-Fikry-Novel/dp/1616204516/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514844703&sr=1-1&keywords=the+storied+life+of+a.j.+fikry+by+gabrielle+zevin
- Best Self Planner: https://bestself.co/
- Panda Planner: https://pandaplanner.com/
- Passion Planner: http://www.passionplanner.com/
- Bullet Journal: http://bulletjournal.com/
- Highrise CRM: https://highrisehq.com/
- Trello: https://trello.com/
- Rocket Book: https://getrocketbook.com/
- Evernote: https://evernote.com/
- Slice Planner: http://sliceplanner.com/
- Brazen Global: https://brazenglobal.com/
- Simply Vital: https://www.simplyvitalhealth.com/
- Momentum Planner: http://www.productiveflourishing.com/free-planners/
You can follow Jacqueline on Twitter at @jacquelineStee or find her on her website at www.jacquelinesteenhuis.com.
You can follow Terri on Twitter at @terrihansonmead or go to her website at www.terrihansonmead.com or on Medium: https://medium.com/@terrihansonmead.
Feel free to email Terri at PilotingYourLife@gmail.com.
To continue the conversation, go to Twitter at @PilotingLife and use hashtag #PilotingYourLife.